A few weeks ago, Austin and I decided to make this homemade snack, and let me tell you, it turned out truly delicious! I altered the recipe slightly in order to be gluten and diary free, but just be warned now, you really can't stop after just one. They were too good.
I am also using this newly-vegan caramel syrup recipe as my go-to caramel sauce now. Get ready to be drizzled on top of baked goods, whipped into hot chocolates, or just eaten straight from the pan!
Too much? I think not.
Chocolate Salted Caramel Pretzel Bark (vegan + gluten free)
(original recipe source here)
- 1 bag mini gluten free pretzel twists (I use Glutino)
- 1 cup vegan butter (equal to 2 sticks)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life)
- Coarse sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line one baking sheet with aluminum foil and lay a single layer of pretzels down.
- melt the butter and the brown sugar in a medium saucepan until the sugar is dissolved.
- Let it boil gently until it just begins to stick to the bottom of the pan and it forms a nice smooth caramel. Let the sauce bubble a little and get really thick.
- Remove from heat and pour evenly over the top of the pretzels - do not worry if every single pretzel is not covered! Place in the 350 degree oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top. Place back in the oven for 1 minute.
- Spread the chocolate chips around with a spatula until mostly melted, and sprinkle generously with salt.
- Let cool on the counter top for a few minutes and then pop in the freezer for at least two to three hours. When it comes out of the freezer, break it up into uneven chunks with your hands and serve.