26.4.12

Mentor & Inspire with Marie Claire UK and Liz Matthews

A little less than a year ago I applied for a mentorship program through the UK based magazine "Marie Claire." I first read about it at the Border's in my hometown of Norman, OK. The six (or so) spreads explained that the program paired one lucky reader with a distinguished UK woman who would serve as their mentor for the following year, to guide them and befriend them, and to be an incredible role model in their life. I remember sitting next to the cafe with my best friend next to me and reading off the names of the past mentors and mentees and of the ones in the year to come. I was overwhelmed by what an incredible opportunity this was for girls like me everywhere, I remember saying out loud, "how could you NOT apply for this?"

I put this opportunity to the back of my mind since I was supposed to be working on homework, but by the time we returned home I couldn't stop thinking about it. I did the only rational thing I could think of and withheld writing my 5-page art history essay in order to write a 500-word explanation on why I thought this international magazine should chose me as a mentee. Really, how do you do that? I kept thinking. How do you tell a stranger who you are and, more so, why you are great in such few words? All self-doubt aside, I kept thinking to myself that I sincerely didn't have a chance, what with being from the states and a young student still unsure of what her plans are in life, but it was much more fun to write my own fairytale than about another artist's work.

After hearing from Marie Claire that I made it to the next stage, after a 4 AM telephone interview with Liz Matthews and MC's Editor in Chief Trish Halpin, after many exchanges with the very helpful Caroline Garland, I was told Liz had chosen me to be her mentee for the next year.

I was lying in the back seat of an old jeep, halfway to Austin, TX when I read this email, and I just started screaming (I don't think I have ever told you that, Liz!). Let me tell you, that smile did not leave my face for days, and to be honest, it still hasn't.

I had the opportunity to talk and visit with Liz during my time abroad in the UK (and after), and I could not ask for a better mentor. Not only is she a magnificent role model for me as a student and hopeful entrepreneur (she owns her own PR studio and manages a number of successful clients), but, more importantly, she is an incredible person to have the honor of knowing. She has taught me to be resilient and attentive, to pursue my passions and continually work hard, and to always remain gracious and genuine along the way. If nothing else, I hope to end up as kind and knowledgeable as my mentor, for I have learned that who I am is just as important as what I do.

So here are my sincerest thanks to Marie Claire UK (Trish and Caroline, especially) for providing this mentorship and selecting me for this life-changing opportunity; and, of course, to Liz for seeing something special in me, choosing me to be your mentee and friend, and for your unfailing support every step of the way. I look forward to this fairytale future with you as my very own Fairy Godmentor!


































Liz and I in her London office. I think she is quite stylish! I officially have a girl crush!

1 comment:

  1. I visit daily some sites and information sites to read articles, but this website gives quality based content.
    My website: http://brosseadentelectriquepro.ctexpeditions.com/

    ReplyDelete